The Highlands Soccer Club Recreation Program in Washington County, VA is sponsored by the Highlands Soccer Club, Inc., which is a non-profit corporation registered with the Virginia State Corporation Commission. The Club has a Board of Directors.
1. U-4 / Preschool Program: For children born 2015-2016. Approximately seven clinics held on the lower field next to the Coomes Recreation Center. Established teams are not formed for this program. Parents are strongly encouraged to attend the clinics to assist in child control as well as learn the basic skills of soccer with their children. League uniforms are offered for purchase, but not required for this program.
2. U-6/Kindergarten through U-18: Players are divided into teams and play scheduled games within their age groups. You are able to register your child "up" one year/grade if you feel he/she is ready for that transition. Teams are formed with the primary purpose of balancing competition. All players should play an equal amount of time regardless of skill level or experience. The recreation program is designed on the “small sided soccer concept.” Smaller fields and smaller teams are used. This allows players a greater opportunity to “go to the ball” and thereby learn the basic skills faster and also reduces player bunching while they learn positioning concepts and skills. Certified referees are used in the U8 and up. Coaches both perform as referees during U6 games. Some rules are modified for recreational soccer to enhance safety for the players. Your coach will go over these rules with you. Please treat all referees and coaches with the utmost respect, thank you!
2. Teach Soccer fundamentals and teamwork
3. Provide a safe environment
4. Success is measured by the above and our improvements, not by wins and losses.
Players who played in the fall will generally be placed back on the same team in the spring. New players in the spring will be assigned to balance the teams and/or create new teams as registration numbers require. Each fall season, all players will be randomly assigned to teams so that every child has a chance to get experience with different coaches. Considerations such as Unavailable nights of the week and carpooling can be taken into account during team selection. Please ensure you carefully complete the part of the registration that asks what nights/times your child is unavailable for practice and enter any other information we should know during team selection in the COMMENTS field.
You will create an account (if you have never registered on-line) that you access with your email and a password. From this account, you can add your child or children, register them and yourself, and make a payment with a credit card (MC/Visa accepted). Later you can check the status of what team they are on, who their coach is, and more by returning to this web site.
Highlands Soccer offers $5 off each additional child from the same immediate family.
Please consider volunteering to help coach or organize your child's team. Our Club is run entirely by volunteers. Head Coaches are eligible for complimentary child registration (will be credited to your account after registering).
All players must practice and play for a rec team.
Challenge Program: For an additional fee, challenge teams practice one additional night per week (usually Friday) and play additional games (usually Sunday) against teams outside of HSC where playing time is not guaranteed. Depending on participation, our first preference is for our challenge teams to participate in the tri-cities league out of Bristol; if that is not possible, we independently work with other teams in the area to play a smaller number of games (usually home and away); As a last resort, the challenge team will do skill workouts and play small sided games against itself with the possibility of a scrimmage here or there. Coaches will discuss with parents once the situation becomes clearer and parents may choose to unregister with a possibility of refund once they have all the information they need to make a decision.